Saving energy is one of the key parts of moving to a more sustainable use of resources and caring for the environment. Mosques are typically large; they may be old or listed buildings that are used irregularly, and so can easily waste a lot of energy.
The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said “The world is beautiful and verdant, and verily God, be He exalted, has made you His stewards in it, and He sees how you acquit yourselves.” (Hadith Muslim)
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs
- Use sprinkler taps in washrooms (wudu area)
- Turn hot water and heating thermostats down
- Encourage worshippers to walk or cycle to the mosque
- Minimise the use of paper
- Get an energy survey done on the mosque